The 2016 Fresh Voices Awards recognize the inspiration and leadership of immigrant and refugee youth in British Columbia and across Canada. Seven young people will be awarded for their work advancing social change in the following areas: Immigration, School and English/French Language Learning, Family, Building Bridges and Working in Solidarity. These themes were chose through consultation with immigrant and refugee youth and organizations and communities working in partnership with young people.
7 Youth Awards
- Six $1,000 awards for youth in B.C.
- One $1,000 award for youth from across Canada
1 Adult-Ally Award
- One $1,000 award for an adult ally in B.C. The successful recipient (individual or organization), will be able to select a B.C charity or non-profit to receive a donation of $1,000 in their name
How to Apply
Youth, aged 14-24, may apply for an award directly, or can nominate someone else to receive an award. Adults can only nominate someone else for an award. The Application process is now closed. Applications in all categories require the following:
- A completed application form
- One letter of support that is specific to the category in which the individual is
- being nominated
- Resume highlighting education, career, and volunteer activities.
The Fresh Voices 2016 Awards recipients will be announced at a Gala Dinner as part of the Fresh Voices 2016 Forum, on the evening of Monday, December 5th in Vancouver, BC.
The Fresh Voices Initiative firmly believes in supporting immigrant and refugee youth in key decision-making processes. The selection of an award recipient in each category will be determined by a committee of immigrant and refugee youth from the Fresh Voices Youth Advisory Team at Vancouver Foundation and members of the partnering organizations: Vancity and the Michaëlle Jean Foundation.