The Young Arts Entrepreneur program provides $7,500 in start-up funds over 2 years to promising emerging artists or collectives of artists from disadvantaged backgrounds.
The Michaëlle Jean Foundation is now receiving applications from interested parties. The deadline for applications is April 17, 2015. Download the 2015 Application Form here.
Over that time period, successful applicants work one-on-one with mentors, who provide personalized support to help them define their business plan, their marketing strategies and their accounting.
To be eligible, you must meet the following conditions of eligibility:
• Aged 18-30
• Canadian citizen or permanent resident
• Proposes a new business or extension of an existing one that uses the arts as tools of social change in his or her community
• Agrees to work with both artistic and business mentors for a period of two years
• Has some training/experience related to their business idea
• Can produce a realistic project outline for which a complete business plan can be developed within one year
• The business is recommended by, and preferably supported by, a community association
• Demonstrates awareness of the impact of the arts on his or her community/neighbourhood (“arts” are broadly defined to include all forms of creative expression)
Applications must include:
• Application Form including project outline over 2-year timeframe, budget, possible partners in the community and how the project will benefit an underserved community
• 2 letters of support from two individuals (not family or friends) familiar with the applicant’s artistic work, community engagement, or impact on peers (including contact information so that we can contact them if required)
• Video (no longer than 10 minutes) accompanying the application form and letters of support is welcome
The program is sponsored by CIBC and BMO and benefits from the partnership of Futurpreneur Canada. Read the terms and conditions.
Subscribe to our quarterly newsletter and get the latest updates on the work of the Foundation