Arni C. Thorsteinson , CFA, LL.D
Treasurer of the Board of Directors
Arni Thorsteinson is President and principal of Shelter Canadian Properties Limited. He has over 35 years experience in real estate development and finance.
Arni is a founder of Lanesborough, Huntingdon, Temple and White Rock Real Estate Investment Trusts.
Arni is a Chairman of the Board of the Advisory Board of Canadian Aspen Properties Ltd., Chairman of Vision Capital Fund Advisory Board and Chairman of the Board of Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
He is also a Director of Ben Moss Jewellers Ltd. and Onex Corporation, as well as a Trustee of Bird Construction Income Fund. Arni obtained his Chartered Financial Analyst designation in 1974 and also holds a Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) degree from the University of Monitoba.
Peter Tielmann moved from Europe to Canada and joined Palliser Furniture Ltd. in 1999 where he held various executive roles in Marketing and in Business Development.
In 2001 after recognizing the need for a modern furniture retail alternative in the North American marketplace, Peter founded EQ3 Ltd., a vertically integrated retail concept with a mission “To provide innovative and affordable home furnishings for everyone who appreciates modern design”.
Over the past 12 years EQ3 Ltd. has been firmly established in markets throughout North America. In addition to EQ3, Peter also owns and operates a real‐estate development company and is co‐owner of Casana Furniture Company Ltd.
In the early 1990’s following the fall of the iron curtain, Peter had worked for a number of years in Eastern Europe setting up a business for a German publishing house.
Later in the 1990’s during his time as a student Peter had co‐founded a manufacturing, importing and distribution company consisting of health care products, which he sold prior to moving to Canada. Peter holds a Degree in Architecture from a technical college in Hennef Germany, and a Graduate Degree in International Business Economics from the International Business School (IBS) in Germany. He speaks fluent German, Russian, English and Lithuanian.
Peter serves on a number of boards of companies and non‐for profit organizations. In his free time, Peter enjoys spending time with his family, travelling, alpine winter sports, cooking, music and architecture. Peter is married to Tara DeFehr‐Tielmann since 1997 who is currently active in EQ3. Together they have a daughter Mila.
Jean-Pascal Simard joined the oil and gas industry at the beginning of his career in 1990, working at Petro-Canada in Calgary, Canada, following a course in Business Administration at University of Sherbrooke in Quebec (Canada).
In 1992, he joined the Canadian papermaking group Cascades, as financial controller of a plant in Sweden, for four years, then became financial director of a subsidiary in Southwest France, before being appointed, in 1999, as Administrative Director of the European headquarters of Cascades, in Paris.
In October 2001, he took over the administrative and financial management of Vermilion REP SAS, a French subsidiary of the Canadian oil and gas group Vermilion Energy Inc. Beyond his duties (finance, IT, purchasing, legal) he was assigned to manage Key Projects of very different horizons such as:
- Sept. 2005 to Dec. 2006: Transition Manager of the acquisition of Esso REP
- Jan. 2007 to Jan. 2012: Coordination of legal proceedings by the representation and protection of Vermilion’s interests
- Sept. 2010 to July 2011: Vermilion’s spokesman in the debate on shale hydrocarbons in France, and the ban on the use of the hydraulic fracturing technique (Law)
Since September 2011, he has assumed his duties as Public Relations and Government Affairs Director Vermilion REP SAS, under the management of the French President and CEO.
Jean-Pascal Simard is highly active in French and Canadian territories through major organizations:
- April 2006: Director of the bank Crédit Mutuel de Biscarrosse – Landes (Landes)
- Dec. 2012: Vice-President of the Avenia competitiveness cluster – Pau (Pyrénées-Atlantiques); the only French competitiveness cluster in the field of geosciences
- July 2012: Member of the Executive Committee of the France-Canada Chamber of Commerce since 2012 and appointed 1st Vice President in 2017
- July 2015 : Chairman of the Exploration & Production Commission of UFIP (French Union of Petroleum Industries)
- April 2017 : Administrator of the “Maison des Etudiants Canadiens” – Paris
- July 2017 : Administrator of “Michaëlle Jean Foundation” – Ottawa (Canada)
- July 2017 : Vice-President and Treasurer of the Castors Fripouilles association (support to sick children) – Paris